Sunday, May 15, 2016

Iceland's Waterfalls

All of Iceland's Most Waterfalls

Visiting Iceland I intended to see all of the famous geologic sites.  I paid little attention to visiting its waterfalls ahead of time, but as the trip wore on we stopped to see waterfall after waterfall after waterfall.  Every water fall the the most something.  By the time my trip was nearing, I was bored with waterfalls.  At point when we pulled into another waterfall's parking lot I refused to even leave the car, that was at least until I found out we could walk behind the waterfall.  I begrudgingly got out of the car for the hike.  Here I've made a list of some of the most impressive we saw.
The first waterfall we visited in Iceland Hengifoss was beautiful, but required ascending a steep hike the end of which was more jumping from rock to rock across freezing cold water than hiking.
Dettifoss is the largest waterfall in Europe by the sheer volume of water that cascades over it every day.  Located on the northern coast of the island, you can hear the roar of the falls from the parking lot far away.

Godafoss is the most historic waterfall in Iceland as idols of the Norse gods were thrown into the waterfall when the country became Christian in 1000 AD.  It's name translates to waterfall of the gods.
Gullfoss is Iceland's most famous waterfall and one of the most visited due to its location near Reykjavik.
Seljalandsfoss is the most photographed waterfall in Iceland as visitors love to take photos from the trail that loops behind it.

No comments:

Post a Comment